Friday, January 29, 2010

PB and G's - PB and J gets a GF makeover

We've all heard of PB and J's, but, "What is a PB and G?" you might ask. Take a look at the new snack idea my stepson Connor and I came up with when looking for an alternative to super sugary jelly and glutenous bread...



What you need:

PB and G Snack
1 lightly salted rice cake
2 tbsp natural creamy peanut butter
1/2 c fresh red or green table grapes

Cal: 225
Total fat: 16g (3g saturated)
Sodium: 25mg
Total Carbs: 28g
Protein: 10g

VS.

PB and Jelly Sandwich
2 slices Wonder Bread Classic White Bread
2 tbsp Skippy Creamy Peanut Butter
2 tbsp Welch's Concord Grape Jelly

Cal: 430
Total fat: 18g
Sodium: 480mg
Total Carbs: 61g
Protein: 11g

NOTE: I am NOT a nutritionist, I'm just a parent who reads labels. I happen to know that oil and sugar should only be used in moderation, and things like nutrient-rich fresh whole fruit and whole grains are important in diets. I do not claim to have all the answers or to do things perfectly... at the end of the day I know what works for my family, but more on that later!

Most importantly, we had a lot more FUN making the PB and G!



Caitlyn, my step daughter, and I were inspired to make our own fun creations. Check out Caitlyn's pretzel and grape "light post":



I made "antennas" in response to being called the "alien stepmom":



Simple swaps can be more nutritious AND fun for you family! The best part is that these snack ideas can easily be made gluten-free... and lets be honest, what GF child is going to turn down food that they can play with for lunch?

1 comment: