Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Minnesota Nice - Being Polite Has it's Benefits

Minnesota nice, according to Annette Atkins:

...The cultural characteristics of Minnesota nice include a polite friendliness, an aversion to confrontation, a tendency toward understatement, a disinclination to make a fuss or stand out, emotional restraint, and self-deprecation...

I've often been accused of being too "Minnesotan", in reference to this standard. I'm often the last to make a fuss about something (once, actually eating fettucini that smelled like wet dog for the sake of not adding fuel to a frustrating situation in a restaurant), and I believe there's something to be said for general politeness.

I joke with the kids often about karma when trying to teach them to be nice to others. "You'll be surprised at how nice others will be if you simply smile and ask how their day is...", I say. Once, Ryan fell off our kitchen stool after teasing Connor, to which Connor yelled, "HA! Karma got you, Ryan!" I'm not quite sure they understand the concept yet...

Anyway, a neighbor down the street just dropped off a box of treasures on my doorstep:




It turns out that a produce truck broke down in our town, and our neighbor who owns an autobody shop was given a large gift of vegetables and fruit as a thank you for service. They knew that I like to cook and bake and decided to share their gift me. I can't wait to use everything! I'm making homemade GF tortillas tonight, and the peppers, tomatoes, and potatoes will make a great addition to dinner!

If any other trucks accidentally break down in Marlboro, like maybe one filled with pastries, please stop by!

No comments:

Post a Comment